Electronic Travel Authorization for Some Visitors

Entry requirements for visitors to Canada

Many visitors to Canada need either an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) or a visitor visa. If you are not a US citizen, find out if you need an eTA or a visa, or need to give biometrics.

Many people may not need an eTA or a visa to visit or transit through Canada,  but everyone will still need to:

  • Carry proper travel documents and identification for themselves and any children traveling with them.
  • Satisfy all requirements to enter Canada.

The eTA application process

Applying for an eTA is a simple, inexpensive ($7 Canadian) online process that takes just a few minutes. Most eTA-eligible applicants get their authorization within minutes of submitting the online form.

If you need an eTA, you should get it as soon as you plan this trip – do not wait for the last minute to apply, and travel to Canada with the passport used to get the eTA (see Travel Documents)

U.S. citizens are exempt from the eTA requirement but must carry proper identification such as a valid U.S. passport.

The visa application process

Consult the processing times to learn how early you should apply for a visa.

If you need a visa, find out how to apply for a visa, the fees, and how to check the status of the application after it is submitted. The earlier you apply the better. Also, find out what you can do if you are refused a visa.

Minors traveling to Canada

Canada has laws and regulations that protect children. If you plan to travel with a child (17 years of age or younger), you should consult the entry requirements for minors.

Note from NPSA: The information above is provided as a courtesy to our attendees. We are not experts in Visa regulations of Canada. For any question or if you have a unique situation that requires further review, please contact the Canadian Embassy of your country directly through the Canadian Embassy Directory.

If you need a letter of invitation from NPSA indicating that you are scheduled to make a presentation at our academic conference, fill this invitation letter request form and submit it no later than September 1.